TOPIC: Vale SA's legal fight against Brazil's tax claims
STEP 1 - Read the following article:
READING COMPREHENSION ARTICLE 9
STEP 2 - Answer these questions (choose the
1. The court ruling outlined in this article states that the company Vale SA will ______________ the almost $16 billion it owes the Brazilian government.
not have to pay
have to pay
2. These particular taxes are on the company's earnings from projects ________________.
commissioned by the Brazilian government
3. Why does Vale SA have a problem with these taxes?
Because they're not happy with the percentage that the government wants
Because they're not a Brazilian company
Because they already paid taxes in the countries where the projects took place
4. According to the article, Vale SA are going to ______________.
pay the required taxes right away
appeal the ruling
pay the required taxes in about two weeks
5. When was the previous injunction (which permitted Vale SA not to pay the required taxes) granted?
In the last decade
READING COMPREHENSION HOME
BUSINESS ENGLISH GLOSSARY
BUSINESS ENGLISH WORKSHEET COLLECTION
OUR OTHER SITES:
LINK TO US
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT US: bes (at) learnenglishfeelgood (dot) com
(c) 2007-2020 BusinessEnglishSite.com (a division of LearnEnglishFeelGood.com). All rights reserved. Please read our
before sharing our content.